Today we want to share with you a recap of Aleksandar’s story!
Aleksandar is a Swedish-based Startuplifers alumnus who has been part of the program in the second half of 2018. He nowadays works as a Software Engineer at Spotify.
- What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Aleksandar Labroski and I am originally from North Macedonia.
- How did you first hear about Startuplifers?
A classmate from my master’s studies told me about Startuplifers and I remember thinking that it sounded too good to be true at the time :))
- What motivated you to apply?
It was always my dream to work in Silicon Valley and experience the culture in the US. This seemed like a perfect opportunity!
- Which company did you join through Startuplifers? In which year?
I joined a company called Rocket (https://www.getrocket.com/), back in September 2018.
- What is the biggest learning you have gained from working at a US startup?
Difficult question. I learned a lot of different things, but I think the most valuable thing was learning how to adapt to a completely different work culture than what I was used to here in Sweden.
- Name one cool/crazy/amazing experience you’ve had while working through Startuplifers.
Lots of cool ones! I remember we all got together with the other Startuplifers one day and decided to go to the Muir Woods National Monument. Definitely a must-see for nature lovers!
- Describe your Startuplifers experience with a few words.
A very enlightening experience! I managed to learn a lot and improve both as a software engineer and as a person. And of course, I managed to make a few friends along the way! 🙂
- What do you do now?
I am nowadays working as an engineer at Spotify.
- Did your Startuplifers experience help you in your career development? If yes, how?
My Startuplifers experience allowed me to experience a different way of working and taught me how to be a better negotiator at work (I quite often had to negotiate with my boss and convince him to do things a certain way).
I’ve also brought some of the useful habits that I learned during my Startuplifers experience into my day-to-day life (both at work and in my free time).
- What would you tell someone who is thinking of applying to Startuplifers?
Well, just do it!
Experiencing the startup way of life can only benefit you in your future career!